overheard

eavesdropping for the technologically savvy

Friday, November 24, 2006

Middle-aged woman to older woman, very excited:
"It's like a goldfish - ON CRACK!!"

I think she was talking about the koi at the zoo. Which would probably make them more like a goldfish on steroids, unless that particular fish was totally freaking out, or maybe breaking into another koi's car to steal it's stereo and sell it for drugs. That would've been cool.

But the COOLEST THING at the Zoo was Stingray Bay!!! You can put your hand down in the water and pet the stingrays (which have had their barbs painlessly removed). They're so soft, and really beautiful. I took pictures, but they all suck (damn index of refraction difference).

I had something else to post, from the grocery store the day before Thanksgiving, but I forgot it. I need to start writing stuff down again. I can tell you, though, that the woman who sits in the aisle across from me at work spent two hours looking for a turkey, and that was on Monday night! Eep. I'm glad I only had to do fruit salad and green bean casserole.

9 Comments:

  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My stepsister's boyfriend saw a woman at the grocery at six o'clock Thanksgiving morning. She bought a 20 lb *frozen* turkey. Talk about your poor planning! Whilt is is possible to defrost a turkey with a sinkful of cool water (which must be changed every half hour) it's not the best use of one's time on this family-centric holiday. It's not as if Thanksgiving sneaks up on you. You know it's in late November. Anyway.

    I think the Ger-Man and I may have to go see those stingrays. They sound really cool. Do you know how much longer that exhibit is on?

    fuekay!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger j said…

    Eep! I wonder if those people ended up having hot dogs with their mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and green bean casserole?

    The stingrays are there until April. Let us know if you want to go; I would definitely go again if you wanted to make it a group thing!

    pzrer!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger The Poor Barn Mom said…

    Ooh, can I go too? We went to the zoo a couple of weeks ago but didn't know that the stingray (I originally typed that "stinkray" - HEE) exhibit was set to open in a few days from our visit. Bah. So we missed it!

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger j said…

    Yes! Let's all go! That sounds like a blast.

    zwixha!

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rays in general are pretty amazing creatures. I've swam with bat rays before and I've "pet" a few stingrays, at Monterey Bay Aquarium I think it was. I'm definitely going to have to try to get to the zoo and check this exhibit out though, I'm glad to see something so interesting and interactive here in the desert.

    -JRB

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger zandperl said…

    I think there were stingrays at some aquarium in NYC, but I forget. There's all sorts of pet-ables at the New England Aquarium in Boston - it's worth a day trip next time you're visiting the state. The penguins are awesome. I recently uploaded a bunch of wedding pictures to my Flickr account where the reception was held at the NE Aquarium.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger j said…

    Wow, JRB! Where did you swim with bat rays? That sounds spectacular!

    There was an interactive stingray exhibit at the Virginia Beach aquarium when I went. The rays there were much less timid (more aggressive about getting petted), maybe because they were in a permanent installation? The rays at the Phoenix Zoo are snowbirds - they spend the winter here and the summer in Ohio (to keep them from becoming Stingray Soup!).

    Penguins! The pics are awesome. Maybe we can go when I come out?

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger zandperl said…

    Yeah, I'd love to go back to the Aquarium! I could spend hours there with my camera. ^_^

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    j,

    It was at catalina island (which is off the coast of california). This was years and years ago for a boy scout camp thing, we got to go snorkling out in cherry bay I think it was. Anyway, there were a couple bat rays, all variety of fish (even a small school of barracuda that we stayed well away from). Good times. =)

    and now I crawl back into bed, still sick! :(

    -JRB

     

Post a Comment

<< Home