overheard

eavesdropping for the technologically savvy

Friday, February 03, 2006

A girl I work with went to the dentist today and came back with two cases of eggplant*. Two huge boxes of them, there were probably 50 eggplant total. So there were eggplant (eggplants??) ALL over work today... it was surreal! To look something up in my statistics book, I had to move an eggplant. Eggplants on top of cubicle walls, eggplants being tossed through the aisles (they are somewhat football-shaped), eggplants being juggled.** They fit nicely on our phones, so we unplugged the handset of an unlucky absent co-worker's phone and plugged in an eggplant. It really did fit on the phone cradle perfectly. So, nothing really overheard here.... just a bizarre preponderance of eggplants in the workplace, and I thought that might be worth mentioning. I had to remove them from my cube after a while; they were really wigging me out.

*Oh, did you want to know the story behind that? Okay. Her dentist volunteers at a food bank, and he brought them LOTS of boxes of eggplant. They couldn't use them all, so they sent some back, which he farmed out to his lucky patients.

** At this point, I have typed and read the word "eggplant" so many times that it has ceased to have any meaning for me.

I am considering starting a new blog, something like psychobridestobe.blogspot.com... it might relieve my urge to put wedding rants on this blog. Because that is not what this blog is about, plus... who really cares?? I think only people who are heading face-first into matrimony might be up for that kind of thing and, dear reader, it is statistically improbable that you are in such a state.

I do want to know one thing. What is in everyone's CD player right now? (Yes, yes, you probably have an iPod, you lucky duck. Just tell me what you're listening to!) Here's the rundown for me:

work CD: John Coltrane Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
home CD: Bill Evans (twice!), Ella Fitzgerald, Luscious Jackson, and this great Thelonious Monk Quartet featuring John Coltrane at the Carnegie Hall concert.. mmmmmmm, good.

I'm off to find myself an online group of angry brides to bitch to!

7 Comments:

  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger j said…

    Dear God. If you ever go looking up online wedding groups, have some insulin ready. It's like chugging a bottle of maple syrup.

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger The Poor Barn Mom said…

    Damn it, how did I miss this post?

    J, you know that you have my undying sympathy about the wedding, especially since I have been stupid enough to go through this idiotic thing called matrimony not once, but twice. Your rants are never unwelcome. I would LOVE to see your blog!

    On my computer's ITunes right now :D - "Penny Lane", "Serenity" by Godsmack, lots of No Doubt (Hella Good), Good Charlotte's "Riot Girl" and "Particle Man"!. I had to uncheck "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd, even if it IS my favorite. I had my ITunes playing one afternoon as I played on the computer - then Chad came home and I walked out of the room. He's so distracting! Chad returned to the room, horrified to find Emma sitting on the floor of my room singing along to "She Hates Me". If you know the lyrics to that, it's not something you want your five year-old singing to her kindergarten class.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger The Poor Barn Mom said…

    Oh and one more comment.

    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant
    Eggplant

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger j said…

    Nice iTunes mix! And thanks for the EGGPLANT ATTACK!!!

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger zandperl said…

    You can always spam me with wedding bitching. :) Failing that, go have some fun bursting the saccharine (sp?) bubbles!

    In my CD player is Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Oh, you meant what'm I listening to! Well, a little whiel ago while marveling at the snow I was listening to "Riding the Pine" - yes, by the Dorks, who else? I really like the harmonies that Black Susan does.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Black Susan said…

    Ooo! You are so sweet, zandperl! I had a hard time with those. I'm happy you are continuing to enjoy the Dorks.

    I was just opening this thread up to post what I was currently listening to. It's "Pop Loops for Breakfast" by B. Fleischmann. It's soothingly bloopy electro-ambient.

    The word verification for this post is "ecfwr," which is displayed in a lovely bridal-style font. How apropos.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No ipod, and I don't have a CD in, but I'm listening to Vivaldi on KBAQ... Allegro something or other.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home